Enter “The Tribe” – By Guest Blogger Jill Murphy, Co-Owner of Fleet Feet Longmeadow
We’ve all been there – resolutions made with the best of intentions after the turn of the New Year only to end in disappointment in February when they still haven’t come to pass. But does that mean that you should give up on your goals? Absolutely not.
Let’s face it – most people don’t have the internal fortitude to exercise every day without some kind of accountability system. As the coach and training program manager at Fleet Feet in Longmeadow, I’ve been running for decades and if you think for one minute that I’ve been able to stick to a running schedule without any setbacks, slumps, or long periods where I just couldn’t find the motivation, you’re dead wrong. There have been times where I wondered if I could even call myself a runner because I couldn’t find the will power to stick to anything for more than a week. No, my friend, you are not alone.
Enter The Tribe. Here at Fleet Feet, our group of runners, that fondly refer to themselves as “the tribe”, depend on one another to keep going. Few are fast (I’m not sure any of us have ever come close to winning anything), and most are middle-aged folks looking to keep up the good fight. There’s something about knowing there’s a group of people who are all in the same boat, who share your joys and your struggles, and who truly care about you, that makes showing up and getting out there much easier.
The best part? The Tribe is all inclusive and the most supportive group of folks I’ve ever known. The Tribe is constantly growing, evolving, and welcoming new members with open arms. Sure, sometimes they don’t feel like showing up, but they still do. Some days it’s because they know their tribe-mates will wonder where they are, sometimes it’s that they don’t want the tribe-mates that depend on them to be alone, and sometimes it’s simply because they enjoy each other’s company.
No one is perfect. They miss a day here and there – maybe even weeks or months. But The Tribe never forgets you and always welcomes you back with open arms. We follow each other on Facebook and never really lose touch. And when the need to get back comes around, they join right back in like they never missed a beat.
So how can you join The Tribe? It’s easy – you just show up. You come to one of our free group runs, info nights, or join a training program. And within the first session, you’ll know what I’m talking about – The Tribe will surround you with just the right amount of support and encouragement and it will make showing up regularly something you look forward to, instead of something you dread.
So what are you waiting for? The Tribe is waiting for YOU and can’t wait to meet you.
UPCOMING PROGRAMS (see our training page at fleetfeetlongmeadow.com for more details):
- Every Wednesday @ 6:00 PM – Free Group Run (run, run/walk, or walk between 2-6 miles – all paces welcome)
- New Jersey Full & Half Marathon Groups – already started, but still joinable; meets Tuesdays @ 6:00 PM, Saturdays @ 9:00 AM, and Sundays @ 8:00 AM (all running paces welcome)
- Spring 5K Group – Begins 3/25/19, starts with one mile and progresses up to 3.5 miles over 10 weeks. Meets Mondays and Thursdays at 6:00 PM (great starter – or restarter – program; all levels of runners and walkers welcome)
- Westfield 10K Group – Begins 4/3/19, starts with three miles, and progresses up to 6.5 miles over 12 weeks. Meets Wednesdays @ 6:00 PM and Saturdays @ 9:00 AM (all levels and paces of runners and walkers welcome)
- Hoop City Marathon Group – Begins 6/11/19 and meets Tuesdays @ 6:00 PM, Saturdays @ 9:00 AM, and Sundays @ 8:00 AM (all running paces welcome)
- Hoop City Half Marathon Group – Begins 7/9/19 and meets Tuesdays @ 6:00 PM, Saturdays @ 9:00 AM, and Sundays @ 8:00 AM (all running paces welcome)
- Hoop City 5K Group – Begins 7/22/19, starts with 2 miles and progresses to 6 miles over 11 weeks. Optional speedwork is available. (all paces welcome)